The NCA examination process is entirely self-study and applicants are responsible for their own course materials and program of studies. There is no private tutoring or consultation available through the NCA. A syllabus and practice exam are available for each subject.
These syllabi are generally revised once annually and are in effect for a full calendar year starting in January. Please note the syllabi may be updated from time to time without prior notice. Applicants are responsible for monitoring the website for updates and obtaining the most recent syllabus for the exam session.
Applicants can also acquire syllabus material through various Canadian publishers and other websites.
The syllabi indicated below are available in PDF format:
- Canadian Administrative Law (February 2014 version)
- Canadian Constitutional Law (October 2013 version)
- Canadian Criminal Law (November 2013 version)
- Civil Procedure (Alberta) (May 2014 version)
- Civil Procedure (B.C.) (October 2013 version)
- Civil Procedure (Ontario) (June 2014 version)
- Commercial Law (May 2014 version)
- Contracts (May 2014 version)
- Corporate Law (December 2011 version)
- Evidence (July 2014 version)
- Family Law (Alberta) (February 2014 version)
- Family Law (B.C.) (July 2014 version)
- Family Law (Ontario) (February 2014 version)
- Foundations of Canadian Law (February 2014 version)
- Professional Responsibility (May 2013 version)
- Property (September 2014 version)
- Remedies (October 2014 version)
- Taxation (October 2010 version)
- Torts (October 2013 version)
- Trusts (April 2013 version)